Mergers & Acquisitions
Florida Bar, 1986
District of Columbia Bar, 1988
United States Tax Court, 1988
Certified Public Accountant (Illinios), 1980
Northwestern University,J.D., 1986
Ball State University, B.A., 1979
English and Spanish
Awards and Recognition
- “AV” Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by Super Lawyers Magazine to Florida Super Lawyers, 2006
Jorge R. Gutiérrez
Jorge R. Gutiérrez is Managing Member and Founder of Gutiérrez Boulris, PLLC.
Practice Areas – Corporate and International Law
Mr. Gutiérrez’s practice is focused on corporate and international law, including private securities offerings, venture capital, international cross-border and global transactions, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, joint venture transactions, corporate advisory services, intellectual property, private/public partnerships, and public finance.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Gutiérrez served with the U.S. Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Intelligence Division (Indianapolis, IN), and also worked as an International Senior Tax Accountant with the international accounting firm KPMG, LLP (f/k/a Peat Marwick Mitchell) (Chicago, IL). He has been a Certified Public Accountant for over 40 years.
Mr. Gutiérrez was previously an equity partner with K&L Gates (f/k/a Kirkpatrick & Lockhart, LLP) and Greenberg Traurig, LLP (both in Miami, FL). He also served with NYSE-listed company Pediatric Medical Group as its Vice President for Electronic Commerce, International and Legal Affairs (Sunrise, FL).
Mr. Gutiérrez has extensive experience in and deep knowledge of the legal systems, cultures and business practices of the United States, Latin America and Europe. Bilingual in English and Spanish, he works in both languages. In addition, over the span of his career he has established an extensive network of domestic and international business, governmental and professional relationships, which he draws upon in connection with the servicing of his various clients.
Mr. Gutiérrez provides counsel (i) regarding the structuring of domestic business operations, including mergers and acquisitions, joint venture, financial transactions, distributorship, franchise, strategic partnering and licensing arrangements, (ii) with respect to international cross-border corporate transactions among domestic and foreign businesses, (iii) regarding regulatory, civil and criminal investigations and (iv) to private and emerging growth companies in matters ranging from formation, key executive recruiting and initial capitalization to venture capital financing and shareholder and board fiduciary duties.
Mr. Gutiérrez’ clients include a broad range of U.S. and foreign individuals, family groups, privately held and publicly owned companies, multinationals and financial institutions. His industry experience encompasses consumer goods, duty free and luxury goods, entertainment, financial services (both consumer and commercial), health care (both domestic and international), professional sports, gaming, hotels and resorts and technology.
A Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Rated attorney, Mr. Gutiérrez has also been selected as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine. In addition to his legal practice, he has been active in various academic, community and civic organizations over the years, serving in both volunteer and board capacities (as listed below under “Memberships and Community Involvement”), and is also actively involved in various business ventures.
Bar Admissions and Education
Mr. Gutiérrez is admitted to the practice of law in Florida (1986) and the District of Columbia (1988) as well as before the United States Tax Court (1988). He received his Juris Doctor degree from Northwestern University’s Pritzker School of Law (1986) and earned a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting from Ball State University (1979).
- Selling Luxury Goods in Latin America: Practical Considerations, 12 LATIN AM. LAW & BUS. REP., No. 6, at 28 (2004)
- Legal Auditing of E-Commerce Business, Doing Business Online and the Computerized Practice of Law, Speaker, University of Montana School of Law, October 15-16, 1999; published at 61 MONT. L. REV. 1 (2000) (co-authored with Richard C. Bulman, Jr.)
- Practical Strategies for Global E-Commerce, E-Business Advisor Magazine, June 1999, at 22 (co-authored with Richard C. Bulman, Jr.)
- Chair and Speaker, Y2K World Congress, Miami, Florida, May 23-26, 1999
- Traveling the Treacherous World of E-Commerce, MIAMI BUS. REV., Oct. 30, 1998 (co-authored with Richard C. Bulman, Jr.)
- Numerous other presentations, interviews and speaking engagements.
Memberships and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Business and International Law Sections, 1986-present
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Vice Chair, Working Group on Corporate Social Responsibility, 2006-08
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member, 1981-present
- Arteaméricas: The Latin American Art Fair, Advisory Committee, 2011
- Ball State University Foundation, Member, Board Directors, 2016-22
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Florida, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees, 2010-11
- College Assistance Program of Dade County, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees, 1990-95; Member, Advisory Board, 1995-97
- The District of Columbia Bar, Member, 1988-present
- The Florida Bar, Business and International Law Sections, Member, 1986-present
- Football Club des Girondins de Bordeaux (Ligue 1), Board of Directors, 2018-2020
- Friends of WLRN (Public Television and Radio), Member, Board of Trustees, 1997-99
- Inter-American Development Bank, Member, Miami Host Committee, 2008
- Make-a-Wish Foundation of South Florida, Inc., Member, Board of Trustees, 1995-97
- Miami-Dade County Housing Finance Authority, Member, Board of Trustees, 1994-95
- Miami Science Museum and Space Transit Planetarium (now the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science), Member, Board of Trustees, 2003-04
- Northwestern University, Pritzker School of Law, Member, Law Board, 2003-present
- Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, Member, Board of Governors, 2004-07
- Rhythm Foundation, Member, Board of Directors, 2013-16
- St. Thomas University, Biscayne College, Member, Board of Advisors, 2016-19
- West Broward YMCA, Member, Board of Trustees, 2003-07